5 Ways to Block Ransomware with CentreStack's Miyagi Defense
The Karate Kid was one of my favorite childhood movies. Sure, it's a typical American underdog story but do we really care? And who can forget Mr. Miyagi's iconic quotes? One that has always stayed with me is,
1. Reduce Attack Surface By Keeping Unmanaged Endpoints off the Corporate Network
How does HTTPS Drive Mapping Block Unmanaged Endpoints?
Besides this ability to virtually eliminate the threat from devices used for remote access, CentreStack provides several ways to dodge ransomware threats and improve overall network security. The following are a few important examples.
2. Block Ransomware with Behavioral Heuristics
CentreStack provides file versioning and behavioral heuristics to guarantee your files can never be held hostage by ransomware. The behavioral heuristic can be configured with a file change frequency threshold. If a device changes files faster than that, it will be quarantined. The simple idea is that any crypto-ransomware will have to change lots of files faster than humanly possible to be effective. So we simply define a threshold for human behavior and quarantine and device that crosses that threshold. It's a simple idea that is extremely effective.
3. Vaccinate Your Files with Versioning and Never Pay for Ransomware
4. Control Unmanaged Endpoints with Device Management and Access Policies
- STOP EXECUTABLES: The ability to stop executables and zip files from being run from the mapped drive.
- AUDIT TRACING: Auditing and reporting to keep track of any suspicious behavior and all file changes.
- ENDPOINT PROTECTION: Endpoint encryption, remote wipe, and other data loss prevention features
5. Maintain Data Control and Sovereignty By Keeping Data On-Premises
Finally, CentreStack can be installed on-premises and keep all data on-premises to avoid exposure from migration to the cloud and maintain data sovereignty when data is too sensitive to be allowed into the public cloud.
What about Zero Trust Network Access Solutions?
Zero Trust Network Access solutions provide compelling benefits, but ultimately devices will have access to the corporate network. CentreStack takes the idea of least privilege to the next level by saying that you don't even need to be connected to the network if you're just accessing files. And it does so while simplifying and modernizing secure remote access. ZTNA platforms will improve the security around remote endpoints but usually won't do much to enhance productivity and usability - especially for mobile use cases.
For more information, please schedule some time for a discussion or demo.