Navigating Growth and System Availability: How an Infrastructure Services Enterprise Overcame Pre-Migration Challenges and SharePoint Limitations with CentreStack
As a dynamic enterprise specializing in infrastructure services across a range of burgeoning markets, the company in focus faced multiple operational challenges. Struggling with an outdated on-premises file server system and scalability issues due to recent acquisitions, this enterprise needed an efficient, scalable, and secure data management solution. This blog dissects the enterprise's operational hurdles, their initial move to SharePoint, and how CentreStack emerged as the optimal solution, satisfying both current and future business requirements.
What Motivated the MigrationThe enterprise initially moved their core file servers to SharePoint to simplify external collaboration and eliminate data redundancy. Azure was also employed for Active Directory functionalities. Before making this shift, they were dealing with several critical issues:
- System Availability: The company's on-premises servers were plagued by unexpected outages, significantly affecting productivity, especially in roles related to project management and estimations.
- Scalability & Integration: As the company expanded and made acquisitions, the need for a unified, scalable solution became apparent. This need was intensified as newly acquired entities continued to operate on their own on-prem servers, leading to integration challenges such as drive letter conflicts.
- Structural Inefficiencies: Traditional file mapping systems proved to be inefficient, signifying a broader need for a more efficient system.
Why the SharePoint Migration FailedSharePoint was initially perceived as the go-to global file server solution for the enterprise. However, its limitations soon surfaced:
- Limited & Complex File Management: Managing large volumes of files was a challenge, with directories sometimes housing up to 700,000 files.
- Syncing Inefficiencies: Syncing delays could last up to 24 hours, severely disrupting operational flow.
- Security & Compliance: There were evident gaps in the security framework, especially concerning the handling of sensitive files like project plans and bids.
- High Cost & Complexity: The $200/TB/month expense beyond the free storage tier became a sticking point, particularly as file counts soared into the millions.
Introducing CentreStack: The Solution to the Enterprise's ChallengesCentreStack emerged as the go-to solution to these operational challenges. Here's why:
- True Drive Experience: CentreStack offers an experience superior to OneDrive, without the limitations inherent in SharePoint.
- High File Limit & External Collaboration: CentreStack can handle a large number of files and enables secure external file sharing.
- Permission Management: CentreStack integrates seamlessly with Azure AD, ensuring efficient permission propagation.
- Data Redundancy: CentreStack guarantees high availability and quick data recovery through robust architecture.
- Customization & Scalability: The backend can be tailored to specific company needs, ensuring that growth is never hindered.
Learn more about CentreStack's solution.